It was a Saturday, I had gone to the mall to pick up few things when a voice said hi from behind. I turned and there was a figure whom at first, I couldn't figure out his face but my heart skipped. I am Akin, said he. A-what? Yoruba demon? The heart that skipped came back to its job of pumping blood.
I replied with a disgusted look, and grumbled hi, I made it obvious that I wasn't interested in the conversation. Yoruba demons? Three years ago, I came to Lagos in search of a job. I have gotten that job, I am now a well to do lady but what my heart has gone through in the hands of names like Tunde, Akin, Ola, Olu, Yemi, Ayo, Deji,, Sola? I vowed to never have anything to do with Yoruba demons anymore.
I looked back and saw him still looking at me, I picked up my basket and walked away.
Sunday came and it was time to go to church, tried kick starting my car but it wouldn't respond. Devil, why? I mumbled. I stepped down to open the bonnet and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Then, I heard someone say 'Hello, any problem there?' i replied yes without even looking back, the masculine voice then said 'I could help you, if you wouldn't mind', I had no choice than to turn to see who he was. For a moment, I thought I had died! I froze that instant. I am horrible at recognising people's faces but that particular one? Yoruba demon! Akin from the mall! Hey, What are you doing here? I managed to stammer, his looks didn't give him up as someone who was surprised to see me. Never mind, he said as he proceeded to check what was wrong with my car. The engine needs oil, he said. Oh! Thanks, i said as I left to bring oil.
When I returned from church, I tried getting some sleep, when I heard a knock on my door, opening my door, It was Yoruba demon. Hey, I am Akin, your new neighbour. I am sorry to disturb you. Well, there is no harm in being hospitable to a demon for once, I said to myself. Come in, I gestured. Thanks for helping me out in the morning, I said. Then, I took my time to scan his face. In the end, I had to sing in my mind a dolly parton's song, 'mama, when you pray tonight, say a special prayer for me'. He told me that he had seen me the day before we met at the mall and he was trying to tell me that he was my new neighbour. I apologised for my rude behaviour and that kick started our friendship.
Few weeks later, Akin said he was bored and suggested we went to the beach. Beach? I am hydrophobic! Akin couldn't believe that a lady as sophisticated as I was, had not been to the beach, so, he insisted it was going to be my first. We got prepared, off we went to Ajuba beach, one of the best beaches in Lagos. It was fun, we would run as the waves came nearer, it was all fun. I had enjoyed every bit of it. We got to the car when Akin remembered he left his sun glasses at the beach side, he didn't want to go back at first, but I insisted he went back, I had been eyeing that pair of eyeglass and I wasn't ready to let it go for a stranger. Five minutes later, I heard an uproar from the beach side, people were shouting and gunshots rented the air. I had to lay low for few minutes until I was sure that there were no more gunshots. Went to the beach side and realised that the water had captured some people and the gunshots were from kidnappers. The kidnappers had took along with them, a man on green shirt and black trousers, oh! that must be Akin, I wailed, until later when I heard that a man on green shirt and black trousers had tried to save a little girl from the water and in the process got captured by the water, then I remembered about an hour before, when I saw someone who not only looked like Akin, but also wore the same colour of shirt and trouser with Akin. He was at my front and I had called him Akin until I got to see his face and realised he was not. Sorry, you look like my friend, I said. Then, I saw Akin coming and excused him. Nobody knew Akin and nobody could say if he was the one that got captured by the kidnappers or the one that got captured by water. This is the second day after the incidence, the wave of the water has refused to return a man with green shirt and black trousers, I could have believed that he got captured by the kidnappers, but the man on green shirt and black trouser is not the only one that is still in the captivity of Olóòkun. Other people are yet to see their relatives who got captured too. What if Akin is in the captivity of the kidnappers? What if he is in the captivity of Olóòkun, the river goddess? No news from the kidnappers, no news from Olóòkun. Will the kidnappers kill the man on green shirt and black trousers? Will Olóòkun feed his body to the giant fishes of the sea?
Two months later, I woke up to realise I had fever, I went to the clinic and it was confirmed that I was two months and few days pregnant. Few days before we went to the beach, I slept in Akin's room and something did happen that night, there and then, and it dawned on me that i was carrying our baby. Hot tears found their way down my cheeks as I silently called on God to help me find Akin to come be a father to his baby. It's been ten years now and I still have the fear of going near large waters. We should go to the beach on my birthday, Akin said that to me yesterday and since then, I have been feeling uncomfortable, hence, the reason for my sleeplessness and my insecurity which is why I made him sleep on my bed, by my side and under my watch today. Looking by my side to see Akin sleeping peacefully, I knew I would never let this only child of mine go near a beach.
I had lost his father ten years ago at the beach, I wouldn't take the risk of taking our only child there.
Obviously, the kidnappers never called and Olóòkun never released the bodies. So, it's been ten years of wondering what exactly happened to Akin.. And as if someone knew I was yearning to see someone again, he played Don Williams' see you again. And attentively, I listened to the country boy's voice singing
I was sitting here thinking about some old times,
Some old times, some old friends,
And suddenly it came across my mind,
I would like to see you again.
Remember how we used to walk and talk,
Walk and talk, holding hands,
We said we loved each other, I recall,
We made a lot of future plans.
But the years have come and gone,
And a whole lot has happened since then,
But tonight your memory's awful strong on my mind,
And, I would like to see you again.
***
But now, I have given up on my hope of Akin coming back, ten years is a long time. So, I am saying, Adieu, Akin. I wish we didn't go to the beach, I wish i didn't tell you to go back for your sunglasses. Our son, Akin whom I named after you looks just like you. I wish you were here to see your replica. Good night, Akin.
Comments
Post a Comment